Palestinian injured in ‘settler attack’ still in prison, settlers not questioned

Hafez Hureini, injured along with a settler in a violent incident in the Hebron Hills, has been in detention since Monday; no settlers involved have been questioned by police.

Masked settlers approach a Palestinian man on private Palestinian land close to the Havat Ma’on illegal settlement outpost in the south Hebron Hills, in an incident on September 12, 2022. (Screenshot)

A Palestinian man whose arms were both broken during a violent incident involving masked settlers from an illegal settlement outpost had his detention extended on Monday for the second time.

Hafez Hureini, 52, from the village of At-Tuwani in the south Hebron Hills region, has been in detention in the Ofer military prison since the incident last Monday, on suspicion of attempted murder. He is the only individual involved in the skirmish who has been questioned under warning or arrested. He was ordered held until Wednesday.

None of the five settlers who were involved has been questioned or arrested.

 

Despite the police claiming they need to keep Hureini in detention due to a concern that he may interfere with the investigation if released, the police have failed to carry out the investigative steps they said they needed to take in order to prevent such interference.

During a hearing in the Judea Military Court on Monday morning, a representative for the police, Senior Chief Sergeant Rafi Sabag, acknowledged that the police had not carried out three investigative operations which they had previously said were necessary to prevent obstruction of the investigation.

Read More

UK: minister calls for BDS ban as Western hypocrisy over Israel gets worse

UK’s Secretary of State for Housing, Communities and Local Government Michael Gove in London, UK on November 10, 2020 [Leon Neal/Getty Images]

With Britain joining other Western states in imposing sanctions on Russia, a senior Conservative Party minister has denounced the Palestinian-led campaign to impose sanctions on Israel for its human rights abuses and violations of international law, including apartheid. Michael Gove has urged MPs to proscribe the peaceful Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) movement in Britain.

Gove describes himself as a “proud Zionist”. Last month he was described as “Islamophobic” over his role in the so-called “Trojan horse affair” in schools in the city of Birmingham eight years ago. He launched an attack against BDS during yesterday’s parliamentary debate on social inequality. Former Conservative MP Christian Wakeford, who defected to Labour recently, asked a question about the rise in anti-Semitism and if the government will continue to pay for security at Jewish schools and synagogues.

“The government has funded the security at Jewish locations, including synagogues and schools, and this, unfortunately, is vital to ensuring the safety of the Jewish community,” said Wakeford, also a vocal opponent of BDS. “Will the Secretary of State commit to the continuation of this funding next year, as well as ensuring that it is adjusted for the increased cost associated with inflation?”

Read More

%%footer%%