Little Rock woman charged with manslaughter in daughter’s death, police say

Police investigate an incident where a juvenile was reported to be shot inside a residence on Doe Run Drive in Little Rock on Tuesday, Oct. 4, 2022. (Arkansas Democrat-Gazette/Stephen Swofford)

A woman was charged with manslaughter Tuesday in the shooting death of her one-year-old daughter, a Little Rock police spokesman said.

Keiundrea Davis, 29, was charged after the girl died of her injuries in an area hospital Tuesday afternoon, according to a series of tweets from the department.

The child was shot sometime after noon in the 11700 block of Doe Run Drive, one tweet added.

The circumstances of the shooting were still not clear Tuesday night, with police still investigating.

Davis did not yet appear in the Pulaski County jail’s online inmate roster at 8 p.m.

A report of a shooting at 11715 Doe Run Drive is shown in the city’s dispatch log at about 12:10 p.m.

4:25 p.m.: Child dead after Little Rock shooting, police release few details

A child died Tuesday afternoon after they were shot earlier in the day, Little Rock police said, although few details in the investigation have been released.

Read More

$ex-Trafficked Teen Who Killed Her Alleged Rapist Sentenced And Fined

A $ex trafficking victim who killed her alleged rapist was sentenced Tuesday in an Iowa court to five years supervised probation, 1,200 hours of community service, and was ordered to pay $150,000 restitution to the family of the alleged rapist.

Pieper Lewis, who is now 17 years old, killed 37-year-old Zachary Brooks of Des Moines, Iowa, in June 2020, when she was 15 years old, after Brooks allegedly raped her numerous times. The teen stabbed the man more than 30 times, according to authorities.

“Well, Ms. Lewis, this was the second chance you asked for,” Polk County District Judge David M. Porter said Tuesday. “You don’t get a third. Do you understand that?”

Judge Porter also said the court was “presented with no other option” then to force the teen to pay restitution to Brooks’ family thanks to Iowa law. The state also does not have a safe harbor law, the Associated Press noted.

The teen pleaded to involuntary manslaughter and willful injury, both of which were punishable by up to 10 years behind bars, Fox News noted. Judge Porter deferred the prison sentences; if the teen violates her probation, she could serve out the 20 years.

Read More

THE PURGE? Illinois eliminating bail requirement for murderers starting in 2023

(Natural News) Politicians in the state of Illinois passed a new law that will do away with cash bail for 12 non-detainable offenses, including second-degree murder.

The so-called SAFE-T Act (Safety Accountability and Fairness Equity Today Act) will also eliminate the bail requirement for aggravated battery and arson, drug-induced homicide, kidnapping, burglary, robbery, intimidation, aggravated DUI, aggravated fleeing and eluding, drug offenses, and threatening a public official.

Starting in 2023, all of these crimes will become non-detainable offenses, meaning criminals who commit them will simply be charged and immediately released back into the community. (Related: Caterpillar and the other companies that have left Illinois in recent months fled over things like this.)

Read More

Florida teacher arrested for $ex with student had tryst when wife was out of town: court docs

The Florida high school teacher charged with having $ex with a student waited for her wife to go out of town before hosting the teen, according to new court documents, which also revealed racy text messages between the pair.

Jamie Melton, an English teacher at Tampa’s renowned Carrollwood Day School, told the teen that her spouse would be out of town on several dates and the victim told police that they planned to meet, the warrant said.

The victim went to Melton’s home last Friday, where the teacher laid down on her bed before the teen climbed on top of her and the pair began to kiss, court papers state.

Read More

Protesters Swim in Government Elite’s Personal Pool After Storming His Palatial Residence

A massive crowd of angry Sri Lankan citizens stormed the residence of the island nation’s president on Saturday, forcing him to flee. The …

New York New Gun Law (Cartoon)

End of Quote . Repeat the line (Cartoon)

A massive crowd of angry Sri Lankan citizens stormed the residence of the island nation’s president on Saturday, forcing him to flee.

The riots were the culmination of months of protests that have shaken the country of 22 million people as it suffers from record-high inflation and shortages of food and fuel.

Footage from the streets near the presidential palace on Saturday showed thousands of protesters gathering around the building.

Read More

‘How to Murder Your Husband’ Writer Sentenced to Life Nancy Crampton Brophy found guilty of killing her husband

Romance writer Nancy Crampton Brophy, left, accused of killing her husband, Dan Brophy, in June 2018, watches proceedings in court in Portland, Ore., Monday, April 4, 2022. (Dave Killen/The Oregonian via AP, Pool, File Photo)

(NEWSER) – Update: Nancy Crampton Brophy, self-published author of romance novels including The Wrong Husband and The Wrong Lover—as well as an essay titled “How to Murder Your Husband”—has been sentenced to life in prison for murdering her husband. The 71-year-old Oregon resident, who was found guilty last month of the 2018 slaying of chef Dan Brophy, will not be eligible for parole for 25 years, the BBC reports. Nathaniel Stillwater, Brophy’s son from a previous marriage, was among the relatives who spoke at Monday’s sentencing hearing. “You opted to lie, cheat, steal, defraud, and ultimately kill the man that was your biggest fan,” he said. “You were—to borrow from your catalogue—the wrong wife.” Our original story from May 25 follows:

The romance novelist who infamously wrote an essay titled “How to Murder Your Husband” was on Wednesday convicted of murdering her husband. Prosecutors say Nancy Crampton Brophy, 71, spent months collecting a ghost gun kit, a gun, and various gun pieces that could have been swapped out on the gun, including a piece to make sure bullets were not traced back to the gun, before shooting Daniel Brophy in his workplace where there were no cameras or witnesses. She then tried to collect on life insurance policies, the New York Times reports. The essay, written in 2011, had included tips about making sure such a murder was not traceable. Defense attorneys said that while acquiring the gun pieces, Brophy had been considering a story about a woman who built a gun to deal with her abusive partner. Brophy, too, said she bought the gun parts for research.

Hospital Shooter Was Strapped to a Gurney She was rapidly disarmed by quick-thinking EMT

Stock photo. (Getty Images/beerkoff)

(NEWSER) – An active shooter strapped to a gurney in a Houston-area hospital could have killed people if she hadn’t been disarmed by an EMT, police say. KHOU 11 reports that the woman, who had been taken to the HCA Conroe Hospital Emergency Room for a mental health evaluation, had her arms and legs secured on the gurney but was still able to fire two rounds from a small-caliber gun she had stashed in an elastic waistband-type holster under her dress. Police say the medical attendant disarmed the woman almost immediately and nobody was injured, reports the Houston Chronicle.

The woman, identified as 65-year-old Glendar Johnson-Jackson, had been brought to the hospital under an emergency detention order from the Harris County Sheriff’s Office. The sheriff’s office says she was taken to the hospital after causing a disturbance at a business, ABC 13 reports. After the shooting, she received medical clearance and was taken to the Montgomery County Jail. Police say she will face charges including deadly conduct.

Conroe Police Chief Jeff Christy “commends the HCEC EMT that took quick, decisive and heroic action in disarming Jackson as she discharged the gun. His actions likely saved innocent lives,” police said in a statement. They said Conroe Mayor Jody Czajkoski “wanted to recognize the Conroe Police Department’s rapid and overwhelming response to the reported active shooter situation. He is thankful that the situation was resolved without casualties.” Authorites say they are looking into why the woman’s gun wasn’t found sooner. (Read more Texas stories.)

Read More

Federal Court Drops All Restrictions on Hinckley Would-be presidential assassin tweets in celebration

US Marshalls escort John Hinckley Jr. as he returns to a marine base via helicopter in Quantico, Va., Aug. 8, 1981. (AP Photo/Barry Thumma, File)

Update: After keeping an eye on John Hinckley for decades, the federal courts dropped all restrictions Wednesday on the man who tried to assassinate President Ronald Reagan. “After 41 years 2 months and 15 days, FREEDOM AT LAST!!!” Hinckley tweeted, per CNN. He no longer faces any restrictions on his internet activity or movements. When Hinckley opened fire in 1981, he also shot White House press secretary James Brady, Secret Service agent Timothy McCarthy, and Washington police officer Thomas Delahanty, per NPR. Hinckley had planned to perform a concert in New York next month, but the venue canceled the show on Wednesday, per Rolling Stone. The Market Hotel’s Instagram post sounded like the decision was made reluctantly. Our story from June 1 follows:

The man who shot President Ronald Reagan in 1981 is set to be released from all remaining restrictive conditions on June 15. US District Court Judge Paul L. Friedman said in September that he would free John Hinckley from restrictions on that date as long as Hinckley continued to do well. Officials say Hinckley has, and Wednesday’s hearing did not alter those plans. CBS News reports federal prosecutors, mental health professionals, and lawyers for Hinckley said at the hearing that they have no worries regarding his mental state. The judge has said that Hinckley, who turned 67 on Sunday, has displayed no symptoms of active mental illness, no violent behavior, and no interest in weapons since 1983, reports the AP.

Hinckley was confined to a mental hospital in Washington for more than two decades after a jury found him not guilty by reason of insanity in shooting Reagan. But starting in 2003 Friedman began allowing Hinckley to live for longer stretches in the community with requirements like attending therapy and restrictions on where he can travel. He’s been living full-time in Virginia since 2016, though still under restrictions. Those include: allowing officials access to his electronic devices, email, and online accounts; being barred from traveling to places where he knows there will be someone protected by the Secret Service; and giving three days’ notice if he wants to travel more than 75 miles from his home.

Read More

Rioter Who Brought Confederate Flag Convicted With Son Judge finds Kevin and Hunter Seefried guilty on felony count

Rioters move through the US Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. A Confederate battle flag is at right. (AP Photo/Manuel Balce Ceneta, File)

(NEWSER) – Update: A federal judge on Wednesday convicted a Confederate flag-toting man and his son of charges that they stormed the US Capitol together on Jan. 6, 2021, to obstruct Congress from certifying President Biden’s electoral victory. US District Judge Trevor McFadden, a Donald Trump appointee, delivered the verdict after two days of testimony without a jury, the AP reports. Kevin Seefried and his adult son, Hunter, were both found guilty of a felony: obstruction of an official proceeding. The judge also convicted the two of misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct and illegally demonstrating inside the building. Hunter Seefried was acquitted of other misdemeanor charges. Sentence hearings are scheduled for September. Our original story from Jan. 14, 2021, follows:

Kevin Seefried succeeded last week where Confederate troops had failed in at attack on the US Capitol in 1864. Facing less resistance than the rebel soldiers faced in the Battle of Fort Stevens, Seefried marched into the Capitol with a Confederate battle flag. “The Confederate flag made it deeper into Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, than it did during the Civil War,” a Penn State history professor told the New York Times last week. On Thursday, Seefried and his son, Hunter, surrendered to the FBI to face charges of entering a restricted building, disrupting government business, and disrupting congressional proceedings. They’d come to the FBI’s attention when a co-worker of the younger Seefried told the FBI he’d boasted about being in the Capitol during the riot with his father, per CNBC.

Doctor Who Hawked COVID ‘Miracle Cure’ Gets Jail Time Jennings Ryan Staley of San Diego sentenced to 30 days over hydroxychloroquine scheme

File photo of hydroxychloroquine pills. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)

(NEWSER) – In the early days of the pandemic, a San Diego doctor offered a beacon of hope—more specifically what he called a “miracle cure” for COVID. Now, however, Dr. Jennings Ryan Staley is going to prison for 30 days over his purported remedy, reports Fox 5. Staley attempted to smuggle hydroxychloroquine into the US from China falsely labeled as “yam extract,” says the Justice Department. At the time, hydroxychloroquine was being touted by President Trump and others as a COVID remedy, though studies would later prompt the FDA to crack down on the malaria’s drug’s use for COVID. Staley began marketing $4,000 “treatment kits” out of his Skinny Beach Med Spa.

“It’s preventive and curative,” Staley told an undercover agent who bought a kit, per the Washington Post. “It’s hard to believe, it’s almost too good to be true. But it’s a remarkable clinical phenomenon.” The doctor said it was a “guaranteed” cure, but added that “there’s always exceptions.” Prosecutors say he sold a “family kit” to the agent without asking any questions about medical history. He also boasted of how he was acquiring the hard-to-find drug: He said he “got the last tank of hydroxychloroquine smuggled out of China,” and then “tricked customs” with the bogus label.
%%footer%%