Other types of anxiety disorders develop and remain with the individual for a long period of time. Many of the long-term anxiety types begin in childhood and continue into adulthood.
Examples of long-term anxiety disorders include:
- Agoraphobia – a fear of having a panic attack in a public place where escape would be embarrassing or difficult.
- Anxiety due to a general medical condition –generally develops in relation to illnesses like heart conditions.
- Generalized anxiety disorder
- Obsessive-compulsive disorder
- Panic disorder
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Social phobia, also referred to as social anxiety disorder
- Specific phobias